The Relationship Between Happiness and Gratitude
by Susan Leem, associate producer
How we feel about where we are today affects how we remember and regret the past. The question illustrator Hanan Harchol is trying to understand: what is the relationship between happiness and gratitude? If you can feel gratitude for what you have, it can render those bad decisions unimportant, even not so bad.
And what does this do for regret? It can help you move on and stop ruminating about the “one that got away” or the job you should have taken, and make better decisions in the future.
In this animated video, Harchol shares a Jewish folktale in which a farmer complains about his home being too small. The cagy, local rabbi advises the farmer to bring goats into his small home for a while. Then, the farmer sees how small his home really could be.
Thankfully, we can replicate this advice as a thought experiment. This may sound like a grandma reminding us, “Oh, it could always be worse.” But it’s easier to realize how good life is once you imagine how hard it could be. Isn’t it easier to see a bronze medal as a gift rather than a failed attempt at a gold if you imagine that you might’ve come in 4th place? If the ability to feel gratitude is like building a muscle, maybe the workout starts here.
30 Notes/ Hide
- bananena likes this
- thetrickbrain reblogged this from beingblog and added:
- nurtureandnourish likes this
- studentofthestrange likes this
- jbe200 reblogged this from beingblog
- jbe200 likes this
- baberuthless426 likes this
- durgiii likes this
- celiacbubbie reblogged this from beingblog
- erincentrone likes this
- nocereal reblogged this from beingblog
- cerenamayy reblogged this from beingblog
- june81994 likes this
- maiterpretation reblogged this from beingblog
- lisawhitehare likes this
- carfuffle reblogged this from beingblog
- twistytree reblogged this from beingblog
- twistytree likes this
- thefirepartoffire reblogged this from beingblog
- callmelauranotlora likes this
- livebegive likes this
- sayiamu likes this
- amourforeverivviii likes this
- matryushka likes this
- skibinskipedia likes this
- beingblog posted this