No politician, no party can deliver the utopian society they promise. Neither candidate is the hope of the world. As Christians, we believe that job is taken.
— Ben Irwin, a former publishing executive and Episcopalian Michigander, who has teamed up with two Mennonite pastors to create Election Day Communion.
The campaign is a network of more than 600 congregations of all denominations in all 50 states who have signed on to gather together on November 6th “to build unity in Christ in the midst of theological, political, and denominational differences” in “red states, blue states, and swing states.” The site leads with this manifesto:
During the day of November 6, 2012, we will make different choices for different reasons, hoping for different results.
But that evening while our nation turns its attention to the outcome of the presidential election, let’s again choose differently. But this time, let’s do it together.
It’s a noble effort that speaks to the premise of our own Civil Conversations Project, in which we aim to provide tools and ideas for healing our fractured civil spaces. This collaboration is one of those kindred projects that speaks to people’s yearning to achieve disagreement and work together.
Thanks to Charley Honey for pointing this out in his column for The Grand Rapids Press.
24 Notes/ Hide
- sabrudesill reblogged this from beingblog
- sabrudesill likes this
- spacethatseesme likes this
- danio reblogged this from beingblog
- isopod likes this
- circadiautopia reblogged this from beingblog
- the-consciousness reblogged this from beingblog
- my-life-wjc likes this
- theboywhocriedphoenix likes this
- littleprincest-betenoir likes this
- kenpooley reblogged this from beingblog
- justthegirl93 likes this
- leonardadams likes this
- livinghislife likes this
- livinghislife reblogged this from beingblog
- bethelight-loveneverquits likes this
- apatosaurus likes this
- floursugarlove likes this
- not-one-step-back reblogged this from beingblog
- xhaijhane likes this
- ashtun likes this
- byrdcaleb likes this
- not-one-step-back likes this
- gpbnews likes this
- thecaffeinatedramblings likes this
- beingblog posted this