Q:Hi Trent -- This is Mike DiMartino, I'm one of the co-creators of Avatar: The Last Airbender and Legend of Korra. Just wanted to say thanks to you and Krista for this awesome podcast. Very inspiring stuff. And it was so cool that you wrote about Avatar a few weeks back. I'm really excited to listen to the latest show about fairy tales, as it ties in with a new blog I started that's focused on storytelling. Take care!
Dearest, dearest Mike—
I’m absolutely tickled to hear from you. Words cannot express how much reverence and respect I have for Avatar: The Last Airbender. I came to it rather late in its evolution, but most serendipitously — by way of my two young sons via Netflix.
With all the animated movies and television series out there, Avatar was that first breath of air as one surfaces from a deep-water dive. I didn’t know it was possible for someone to create, write, and produce an animated series (much less any series) with such intelligence, depth, and humor that could speak to 40-year-old parents and 5-year-old children alike. Simply magical work that my wife and I discuss to this day.
As an aside, my favorite character will always be Uncle Iroh. Perhaps he’s the person I long to be or the figure I longed to have guiding me along my own path. Plus, who doesn’t appreciate that perfect cup of jasmine tea.
Please send me the name of your new blog and I’ll be sure to share it with others. And thank you for the kind words about "The Great Cauldron of Story: Why Fairy Tales Are for Adults Again." I’m grateful we could give Maria Tatar the hour she deserves.
30 Notes/ Hide
- jeanine372 likes this
- lalolivas likes this
- half-formed-things likes this
- isopod likes this
- geektacularpartyanimal likes this
- peregrination-pitstop likes this
- pinupsnpizza likes this
- erinelizabethrose likes this
- vivepintada likes this
- vitaminemgee likes this
- goldeneyesandbrightblueskies likes this
- phakeptheologian likes this
- brimminggathering likes this
- iamaplasticfish likes this
- gettheleadout likes this
- michaeldantedimartino said: Really appreciate that, Trent. My blog is mikedimartinostory.com and I add the posts to tumblr as well. Thanks for your interest and I look forward to the next show!
- theboywhocriedphoenix likes this
- ocean-of-emotion likes this
- ckdenali likes this
- insearchofamorebeautifulquestion likes this
- bianca likes this
- shockitshakeitbaby likes this
- sunburnqueen likes this
- castofthoughts likes this
- gelliegels likes this
- resplendatory likes this
- amonemoney likes this
- mhisadj likes this
- i-sing-to-cats likes this
- beingblog posted this