Bobby McFerrin Live Video with Krista Tippett
by Susan Leem, associate producer
Musician, conductor, composer Bobby McFerrin seems to have achieved two disparate levels of fame or infamy depending on who you ask.
One group of audiophiles I know marvel at his four-octave vocal range, improvisational skills, and musicianship, especially his conducting work with the Saint Paul Chamber Orchestra and collaborations with cellist Yo-Yo Ma and jazz great Chick Corea. Another group remembers his popular culture contributions: that billboard-topping hit "Don’t Worry, Be Happy" or the The Cosby Show season 4 opener, and may recall those 10 Grammy awards he has accepted over the years.
Photo by Carol Friedman.
Twitterscript with Frances Kissling
by Shubha Bala, associate producer
We interviewed Frances Kissling on December 20, 2010. A longtime force in the abortion debate, Kissling is searching for new ways to talk to each other, not past each other, about our deepest disagreements.
We live-tweeted gems from the 90-minute conversation, which we’re reposting here in case you don’t use Twitter, or just missed it. Make sure to follow us next time. at @BeingTweets.
- Krista is with @FrancesKissling -a longtime force in the abortion debate she searches for new ways to talk about our deepest disagreements. 2:00 PM Dec 20th
- "When you have a mother with two bad marriages, the life of a nun looks pretty good" - @FrancesKissling 2:07 PM Dec 20th
- "The Catholic church had almost no understanding of what women’s lives were like." - Catholic @FrancesKissling
- "You made your bed, you lie in it is a flawed way of moral decision making - you have to look at the situation before you." @FrancesKissling
- “‘Once a Catholic always a Catholic’ thing is relatively true. I was always influenced by my Catholic ed.” Prochoice leader @FrancesKissling
- "I discovered that the way that I look at Catholicism, expansively, is the way many nuns and priests look at Catholicism." @FrancesKissling
- "Women’s freedoms and the rights of the fetus - for most people both of those values exist." @FrancesKissling
- "The revulsion and stigmatization of people that perform abortions spills over to the consciousness of women who have them" @FrancesKissling
- "In the 1970s pro-life meant you’re a redneck anti-abortion conservative. That’s not what it means anymore." @FrancesKissling
- We’ve never addressed ‘What would legal abortion look like in a caring and loving society?’ @FrancesKissling on pro-choice movement
- "The pressure of coming to an agreement works against really understanding each other. And we don’t understand each other." @FrancesKissling
- The hallmark of civil debate is when you can acknowledge that which is good in the position of the person you disagree with.-Sidney Callahan
- "Dialogue requires an enormous amount of discipline. You have to put up with things you don’t like." @FrancesKissling
- "I don’t understand how you can work on an issue for 35 years as complicated as this and never change your mind." #FrancesKissling
- "Part of vulnerability is some modicum of helplessness." @FrancesKissling
- "Women and fetuses are not adversaries." - #Frances Kissling
- "It’s sort of like communion…part of someone else’s body is going to be in me for the rest of my life."@FrancesKissling on organ donation
- "People at the center are not going to be the big change makers. You’ve got to put yourself at the margins." @FrancesKissling
- "I love a good fight and I love to win but what I have learned…you can catch more flies with honey than with vinegar." @FrancesKissling